Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Fun with Louisiana Iris cultivar names

Here is my first blog entry ever, an attempt at humor with a plant theme, specifically cultivar names of existing Louisiana Iris hybrids and proposed names for their offspring.

What I would like to do is pollinate the reddish flowered 'Handmaiden' with the dark purple flowered 'Black Gamecock' with the hope of obtaining a seedling much like the pollen parent, but with larger flowers on an even taller plant.

If I succeed I am sure that certain nursery owners will have a great time writing the description into their catalogs, but my proposed name for the seedling in combination with the reported parents are likely to generate a few chuckles all by themselves, so here they are:

Iris 'Big Black Gamecock' (I. 'Handmaiden' x I. 'Black Gamecock')

Related links:
The Handmaid's Tale
Shady Deals Nursery Catalog

3 comments:

Bodhisagan said...

Other offspring of the cross would include:

Iris 'Me So Horny'
Iris 'Alabama Black Snake'
Iris 'Say it loud'
Iris 'Too Beaucoup'
Iris 'Giant Hunk of Man Meat'

Sorry I got carried away.

Crinumaniac said...

'Alabama Black Snake' is my favorite for several reasons. Out of context it is totally clean, in context it relates well to the theme, plus Alabama and Louisiana are in the same region. Do you think the Lousiana Iris registry would allow these names?

Bodhisagan said...

Oddly, I think the registry would allow almost anything if you snuck it in without fanfare.

They're not too bright.