Friday, August 24, 2007

Yes! We have pink bananas!

We have pink bananas today! Not only are these bananas pink, they're also cute and fuzzy, too bad they're really seedy and not edible.


Musa velutina fruits
Musa velutina


They belong to Musa velutina, a small banana that grows about 7 feet (2m) tall and is winter hardy here in Raleigh, North Carolina. Its large leaves give the garden a tropical look from late spring until frost, with additional interest provided by the pink flowers in late summer, followed by the attractive, and unusual, pink fruits. I got my first plants a few years ago from my buddy Bodhisagan, the owner of this blog, and this year I had enough to share with another friend.


Musa velutina
Musa velutina


Musa velutina inflorescence
Musa velutina

1 comment:

Thilien said...

Beautiful plant! Unfortunately, it is impossible to cultivate bananas in my garden due to strong climate.