Thursday, April 12, 2007

Left Behind

The deep freeze that covered much of the middle and eastern United States this past week also caused much damage on Crowley’s Ridge. One of the things that struck me is that on some of the trees, among dozens of dead ones, there were a few leaves still alive. Though I don’t put credence in premillennialism and have not read the books, it made me think of the Left Behind series. I don’t believe there is anything mysterious about this but I can’t figure out why some lived and others didn’t. The size or position of the leaf does not seem to explain it completely. If anybody has a scientific explanation, I’d like to hear it - or even an educated guess!


Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis)


Hickory (Carya)


Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)

No comments: