Sunday, April 1, 2007

What's in a Name? Green and Gold

Chrysogonum virginianum, usually sold as Green and Gold (when offered), is simply that, green and gold. Its pubescent (fuzzy) leaves and yellow daisy-like flowers help make this plant a wonderful groundcover in sun or shade, in very moist to average soil.

Other notable facts about the plant is that it is easy, native, it spreads very quickly, is a snap to propagate, starts blooming early and keeps blooming for months.

My favorite attribute of this plant is its ability to bring yellow to the shade garden. I've had this plant bloom in very limited light and with more moisture than most plants will take. All the same I've had it do well with much more light and much dryer conditions. It's that rare plant that can act as a foil across a large area under varying conditions. Chrysogonum is one of those plants that can "quietly" tie the garden's design together.

Strangely, for all its merits, it is still quite rare in cultivation. I don't get it. Even I have only now reacquired it, years since growing it at my parent's home. Why is this plant so easily overlooked? Maybe it's because its name is so, well, boring.

For whatever reason it is overlooked, this unsung hero of the garden is now blooming its heart out for me and will still be blooming after all the spring flowers have disappeared and the early summer flowers have taken their place. Perhaps if I called it "Greenbacks and Gold Bullion" people might be clamoring for it.

1 comment:

Wild Child said...

What a beautiful little flower! I've never even heard of it before but now that you've clued me in on it, I'll try to find a place to get it. I love your new name for it and it just might do the trick!