Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hymenocallis × festalis - unsexy but cool


This plant, sold in the trade as Peruvian daffodil, is not as sexy as many of the species types that are now available, which other blog contributors and I collect. Its foliage isn't as dark or as broad and its flowers are less delicate and interesting.

It is however, very easy and reliable in sun to part sun and in regular soil or soil that is wet. Mine sits tight until the first wet period late in Spring or Summer. Then it quickly displays leaves followed by these flowers.

Unlike some of my other hymenocallis, there is no repeat ever for me. That's OK since the show is for a fairly long time and it is sufficiently impressive. I get one show for about three weeks starting in May or June depending largely on rainfall.

So, it may not be so sexy, but I'll keep growing it.

No comments: