Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wie gehts, Ich komme aus Stuttgart.



Some plants look better in catalogs then in the garden. Some are so exacting as to their requirements, that they never reach their potential.

Canna 'Stuttgart' has for years been that plant. It scorches, is a favorite place for leaf rollers and is all around ugly when unhappy. Oddly, it grows aggressively and I've never been determined enough to kill it altogether, rather, I've moved it about the garden a good bit.

Well after seven years, I think I found a good home. A kind of Goldilocks location where sun, shade and irrigation keep this plant just right. A little snapping off of insect rolled leaves and I have a very tidy and absolutely gorgeous variegated plant.

So thankfully, I left it here in the garden and now I'm being rewarded. I guess there is a morale to this, but I'm just enjoying the show.


No comments: