Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Narcissus 'February Gold'

The weather forecasts calling for colder temperatures across central North Carolina were accurate. Highs today will only be in the 40's, with low 20's tonight. Before the colder weather arrived, Narcissus 'February Gold' was preparing to bloom and it continues to make progress, although more slowly, despite the chill. Here's a picture I took in the garden yesterday:


Narcissus 'February Gold'

Early in the morning of January 11th we bottomed out at 24°F. When I left for work around 8:00 all of the Narcissus flowers were heavily frosted and bent over. When I returned home after work all were standing up straight and looking great. With highs in the upper 60's forecast for this weekend, I expect that many more flowers will open soon. If I get a good picture of the whole patch I'll post it here.


Update on January 15th: As expected, the warmth over the weekend brought out many more flowers, so here's a picture of a group of them blooming.
Narcissus 'February Gold'

No comments: