Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Warm...

Recent mild weather across central North Carolina has brought some early blooms to my garden. The first big show is provided by a patch of Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation', always the first Narcissus to bloom here.Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation'


Another plant in full bloom in the garden now is Prunus mume 'Peggy Clarke', a nice small tree that covers itself with fragrant, pink flowers every winter.Prunus mume 'Peggy Clarke'


Next to bloom are Galanthus elwesii, Narcissus 'February Gold', and Iris reticulata 'Harmony'. I also saw a Leucojum blooming, but it is too early to tell whether this is a stray flower or will be joined by others in the patch. I'll post more photos when all of these are in full bloom, hopefully soon.

3 comments:

Bodhisagan said...

Nice, my Rynveld's are blooming too although your's makes a more impressive display.

Love the Prunus mume. I need to get a couple. How's your grafting skills ROTFL ?

Anyway, can't wait till March!!! This weather is crazy mild. I can't complain as long as we get some rain.

Crinumaniac said...

Sorry, no grafting skills here. But I do have some 2 year-old seedlings from 'Peggy Clarke', so if you are interested I could dig and send you one.

The first flower on Narcissus 'February Gold' is open today, but I don't think it is worth a photo yet. We are turning colder this week, cold enough to slow things down, but not so cold that I am worried about damage to the precocious flowers and foliage.

Bodhisagan said...

The seedling would be fun...yeah thanks!

We're turing colder too, but not by much. NWS still calls for much warmer weather for the next 14 days so I'm pretty pleased. Since of course absolute temps are my concern more than weak dormancies (palms don't have conventional dormancy, survival can be measured by how many trips below a certain temp and by how cold. snaps don't hurt as much).

Wow, some long sentences...so sorry.