Sunday, January 7, 2007

Winter Foliage

In Winter's Thrill, Bodhisagan observed that the flowers of the winter garden are celebrated all the more for their rarity. I agree, and my previous post focused on winter flowers. Before I change the topic, I would like to share a few more pictures of winter flowers that I took in the garden today.


Camellia japonica 'April Blush'
Camellia japonica 'April Blush'
Helleborus × sternii
Helleborus × sternii


In addition to early flowers, variegated foliage is a great source of winter beauty. Here are a few pictures I took in the garden today to demonstrate.


Trillium underwoodii
Trillium underwoodii
Arum italicum
Arum italicum
Cyclamen hederifolium
Cyclamen hederifolium


That's all for now, in my next post perhaps I can show some examples of showy bark, buds, and deciduous plants with leaves that persist into winter.

2 comments:

Bodhisagan said...

Nice closeups. Ah, the winter garden. I love the arum clump. Mine are all single rhizome starts so they're only getting some substance gradually. I love how substantial that clump is. All of the rest of the plants are great too, the cyclamen is sweet!

Crinumaniac said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, I am glad you enjoyed the close-ups.

My best clumps of Arum italicum are in soils with year round moisture, sun during the winter and part shade the rest of the year. They seem happiest in locations where Hosta thrive. I have a few in drier locations that have to deal with serious root competition from large trees during their summer dormancy. They survive and look healthy, but are much smaller than the plants in moister soils.

Cyclamen hederifolium also does well with winter sun and part shade the rest of the year. Unlike Arum, in my garden these almost require serious root competition from large trees during their summer dormancy, otherwise excess moisture leads to rot.

I am very pleased to see abundant seedlings present around the clumps of both of these winter beauties, the winter show they provide should only get better with age. This year I also have a bumper crop of Helleborus × sternii seedlings around the mother clump. Those are sprouting so densely that I will have to rescue some and start new colonies elsewhere in the garden.