Monday, March 26, 2007

Tulips in the Deep South


When most people think of southern cultural idioms, fields of tulips are not one of them. Tulips are generally, and rightfully, considered difficult to grow here in the Deep South.

Despite this difficulty, there are a number of tulips that we can grow as perennials in the south.

The tulip in the first photograph is Tulipa saxitilis. It has tough, thick and persistent foliage and a branched small inflorescence. I like this one, but it has been slow to establish after my initial planting a year and a half ago.


Those that have survived appear to be doing well this year, although some of the flowers appear to be damaged by rot or virus. I hope one year to have many more of these.
Another tulip that I'm growing is Tulipa clusiana , although I think I have a cultivar, it was sold as the species. It has hung around the garden for years, although I have often disturbed them as I forget where they are.

The plant is stoloniferous and should spread once I leave it alone in its home. We'll see if it does this eventually.

Tulipa 'Queen of Sheba' is the strongest performer of all that I am growing. It is a large hybrid lily flowered tulip but it performs great in my garden, unlike most of its ilk.

A gardener from Argentina turned me on to this variety and I've also seen it referenced in some literature I found from NC State. They have an extensive list of Tulips for southern gardens.

Look here for NC State's list: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/quickref/flowers/tulip.html

In its second year in the ground it is bigger than last year and is still present in most of the places I planted it.

The few that have disappeared were located in areas of high disturbance. I will replace those that I have lost and I have no doubt that I will see this plant for years to come.

This fall and into the next I will be increasing the number of tulips in areas where critters won't be much of an issue. Squirrels and their furry friends find that tulips are like chocolate. My more formal, less wooded beds aren't frequented by furry friends and are fine for these and other delicacies.

Although I can't imagine tulips becoming a mainstay in the garden, I will continue to make room for these three and a few other varieties I have yet to try.

No comments: